Re: locale

Al Bayrouni wrote:
> what this means?
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

That means there is no locale data for your present locale setting.

>  dpkg-reconfigure locales

If you set a POSIX locale for the dpkg-reconfigure itself you can
avoid the circular error.

  LC_ALL=C dpkg-reconfigure locales

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "fr_BE"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

Those should be harmless.  Those should go away when you get locales
configured.

You said earlier:
> LANG=fr_BE

But I do not see that in the list.  It looks like you are setting a
locale but have not selected it to be configured and so it is not
being generated.  Run this command and select "fr_BE" if that is your
desired locale.  Also select "fr_BE.UTF-8" too.  You really want to be
using UTF-8 now and in the future.

  LC_ALL=C dpkg-reconfigure locales

> However my choice in dpkg-reconfigure was fr_FR.
> and the XF86config I have this:
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"

That is your keyboard layout.  It is an input device.  But locales
affect your output.  They are semi-related and semi-unrelated.

> I don't understand why fr_BE is mentioned in dpk-reconfigure.

It is mentioned there because when you ran 'locale' it showed as being
set as LANG in your environment.  You did not set it in your
environment?  Look there and change it.  It should ask you want you
want to do at the end of the dpkg-reconfigure step.  Personally I
always select none/leave alone and then leave this as a personal
configuration in my personal environment.

  export LANG=fr_FR

Or:

  export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8

Of course to use a UTF-8 locale you would also want unicode fonts.
Something like one or more of these:

  apt-get install xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib
  apt-get install unifont
  apt-get install xfonts-terminus xfonts-terminus-oblique

And then select a font such as one of these.

  -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
  -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
  -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
  -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
  -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1

Bob