Re: scp from remote to remote machine

Robert Vangel wrote:
> belahcene wrote:
> >I want to send a file from one remote machine to another one like this
> >scp     bela@172.19.5.75:/home2/dsl-1.2.iso     bela@172.19.130.149:/debian
> >Password:
> >Host key verification failed.
> >lost connection
>
> You need to make sure 172.19.5.75 already has an entry in
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts for 172.19.130.149

Or alternatively that the existing entry is correct.  In my case it
automatically adds new hosts to that file.  But if a host key changes
this will fail.  Seeing "Host key verification failed" makes me think
this is the root of the problem.

The OP might not be aware that the copy is point to point.  That is,
the effect is as if you logged into the source machine and ran scp
straight from there to the destination machine.  It does not go
through the host you launched the command from.  I think someone else
posted this:

  ssh -tA bela@172.19.5.75 scp /home2/dsl-1.2.iso bela@172.19.130.149:/debian

The -t creates a pty for the connection so that you will get all
interactive behavior.  The -A forwards your ssh-agent connection,
assuming you have an agent running and if not then you should.

> Also in terms of authentication, its as if 172.19.5.75 is doing it, not
> you. Wherever you are is only authenticating to 172.19.5.75.
>
> You will need to see about generating a key on 172.19.5.75 and putting
> the public key in the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on 172.19.5.75

Full agreement.  But forwarding the ssh-agent might also play into
this too.  I would verify that ssh-agent is set up correctly and use
agent forwarding, assuming I could trust both of those hosts.

Bob