Re: Release upgrade from Woody to Sarge failed reboot lilo problem

Florian Ernst wrote:
> MicheleM wrote:
> > all worked fine untill I rebooted the machine and...ooops! The boot
> > loader LILO failed with the "LI" code error.
> > [...]
> > But what did it happen? I think there is a bug somewhere.
>
> lilo should have detected it needed to be re-run and should have
> prompted you about this, unless it was configured otherwise.
>
> What does
> | # grep -A5 'lilo/runme' /var/cache/debconf/config.dat
> say?

I upgraded a machine running lilo and debconf mailed me the following
information:

  Subject: Debconf: Configuring lilo -- Deprecated parameters in LILO configuration

  Deprecated files have been found on your system. You must update the
  'install=' parameter in your LILO configuration file (/etc/lilo.conf) in
  order to properly upgrade the package.

  The new 'install=' options are:

   new: install=bmp
   old: install=/boot/boot-bmp.b

   new: install=text
   old: install=/boot/boot-text.b

   new: install=menu
   old: install=/boot/boot-menu.b or boot.b

  Debconf, running at discord.proulx.com
  [ Debconf was not configured to display this note, so it mailed it to you. ]

Reading that message I took care of the problem (by installing grub)
before rebooting the system.  But I can't help but wonder if something
similar occurred with the original poster?  It was mailed to me
because I had set my debconf to 'critical' only and so it was
prevented from showing me a dialog box.  Although for something like
this it would justify a critical rating.

Bob