Error Reading Package Lists

I just booted my debian system for the first time and it automatically
ran /usr/sbin/base-config . It went fine until tasksel. I chose yes
when asked whether to run tasksel, but nothing happened and it skipped
to the part where it asks me if i want to run dselect. I selected no,
and it gave me this error:

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing pkcipe (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.yorku.ca_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-1386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I'm running 3.0r5 for i386.
--
No place like ~/