Re: Top posting

On 6/10/05, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> On Friday June 10 2005 8:40 am, you wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > >It's
> > >preserved for posterity and not everybody wants to read a whole
> > >thread to figure out what solved some random printing problem.
> >
> > But, in fact, most people use web-based archives in which that's
> > exactly how they access the messages after the original discussion.
>
> Even then, the answers Google finds are the ones most relevant to the
> keywords.  Answers with untrimmed quotes frequently get filtered by
> Google as being duplicate, and are thus basically lost.  People who
> read archives don't typically read entire threads:  It's a waste of
> time when all that's relevant is the solution post with quotes
> containing the relevant parts of what lead [sic] up to that solution.

OT: the past participle of the verb 'to lead' is 'led', not 'lead'.

In my experience, Google takes me to a relevant message _in_ a thread,
and I can then explore the thread independently.  So it really doesn't
matter (in fact it would be redundant) that Google doesn't list all
the messages in the thread.

And are any of your claims based on actual _research_ (i.e. facts) or
do you just make it up as you go along?

Patrick