Re: vesa-framebuffer is not working

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 08:46:27PM +0530, Joydeep Bakshi wrote:
>  *dmesg|grep vesa*  shows ---> vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not really knowledgable in this area, but I saw this message on my
box as well. I didn't notice any strange behaviour, but I don't know
what I should be looking for.

I did some googling and didn't find anything worth panicking about.

These message might shed some light:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/07/msg00428.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/07/msg00435.html

"All of problem looks kernel(or modprobe) loads vesafb in spite of it
reports an error."

So you may want to check if vesafb is loaded correctly after all. Try
the following as root:

# lsmod | grep vesafb

In my case I see as output:

vesafb                  6688  0
cfbcopyarea             3840  1 vesafb
cfbimgblt               3072  1 vesafb
cfbfillrect             3712  1 vesafb

So at least something is loaded.

But I notice that this is vesafb while the error seems to be about
vesafb0.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill