Re: Pre-Port Usability Question

OK......OK.....

I get it......

If I'm understanding what all of the responses have said <And THANK YOU by the way>

Stability, robustness, testing, testing, more testing, cautious deployment of new stuff, and keep all of the various architectures in sync.

The responses indicate that Debian is a distro to take into any server room, deploy it, and not loose sleep about something blowing up when you leave.

I'm not opposed to that, as long as she can get newer packages if possible. And the threads I've just read have told me that my daughter can get all the new stuff if she really wants it.

That's really all I needed to hear!

You see... My current distro on my box is Arch Linux, based upon Crux, is exactly the opposite. Bleeding edge, short testing cycle, deploy and respond to things that go boom-boom. And being a engineer, I enjoy a little techie pull your hair out stuff now and then. The boom-boom stuff has helped me sharpen my skills.

Often, we have new KDE packages on an average of two days before the KDE site even announces it.

I've already rolled out the new Debian onto Katia's PC. Now I'll re-install, play the "F1" game, and get her into a new kernel.

My personal experience in the 2.6.* kernel series......over the 2.4......is speed. And my system hasn't "panicked", trapped, croaked, or locked up on me.

Again THANK YOU for the responses.