Re: I think I have a bug!!

On Friday 10 June 2005 01:14 pm, ROBIN KRISE wrote:
> I am not very techno wiz on this computer so please forgive my novice
> approach.  I do believe I have a bug.  I tried to access my email at
> yahoo.com  (fastfevor@yahoo.com) and it came up with "you have a
> bug"...report to but report.  I did a search and came up with you guys and
> you may totally be the wrong place to report this type of thing.  Anyway,
> if you can help me, please do.

I noticed that you are using Outlook Express (version 6.0), which means you
are using Windows.  It also means you are likely using Internet Explorer to
access your Yahoo e-mail.  However, we cannot be sure of that, since you did
not tell us what program you are using for web browsing and reading web mail
like at Yahoo.  (If you want to know about a bug, one of the most important
pieces of information is what program is causing the bug!)  It is also
possible that the bug is in the Yahoo Mail interface itself.  If you have a
bug, that is something in the computer program that you would not be able to
fix.  It might help to see if you can download a later version of the
program, though.  As it is, from what little info you have given, it is hard
to tell.  (Along with telling people what program you're having a problem
with, telling them as much as possible about the error message or bug message
or bug report helps -- a vague message like, "I have a bug" could refere to
any program or any kind of bug.)

If, though, by bug, you think you're talking about a virus, that is a
completely different situation, and you'll need an anti-virus program like
Norton or McAfee to help you deal with it.

I'm a little puzzled how you got this e-mail list, unless all you searched for
the word "bug".  You have e-mailed the Debian User list, which is for people
using Debian Linux.  While many people on this list use Windows, all of us us
Linux, and many use it instead of Windows, or may use Windows only when they
have to.  To be honest, it is not a good place to ask for help on any Windows
programs because it is intended to support a special type of Linux, which is
very different than Windows (for one thing, it has less bugs, for another, it
is safer), but generally requires more skill to use.  I'd recommend a group
to help you, but, to be honest, I haven't used Windows regularly for 3-4
years, and don't keep track of anything involved with Windows.  I use it only
when I have to test some programs, which is not even one time a month.  So
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

> I have been getting messages from "cons"
> from overseas trying to give me fake money orders to buy a set of tires I
> have listed in the Recycler locally here in Los Angeles.

That's called spam.  I have no idea what you mean by the Recycler, but if you
don't like getting spam, you'll need to get a spam blocker.  For a novice on
Windows, I'd suggest the same program names as I mentioned for viruses.
Often you can get a bundle of programs to protect from viruses, spam, and
other problems all in one package.

Hal