Re: Top posting

On Thursday June 9 2005 11:34 am, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> My point (with all do respect and no insult intended): You may not
> like top posting, but all of us on the 'net, even in technical
> groups like this, are dealing more and more with newcomers to the
> Internet.

No!  Not acceptable!

You make it sound like we should just give up and accept the fact
 most newbies apparently forgot that at least European languages are
 read from top down in conversational order, not abritrary point
 down, back to the top and down to arbitrary point, etc.  Anybody
 high school or older should be able to properly articulate why top
 posting isn't clear, as well as the sharper kids in school that have
 made it past first grade English.

> We can try to educate them, but things are changing.

That's what they said about northern Europe in the 1930s, too.
Granted, top posting isn't genocide, but "things changing" is never a
valid excuse for gratuitous stupidity.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca