Re: permissions on folders

On (09/06/05 10:39), Jon Roed wrote:
> I recently installed limewire (a file sharing program) and i am wondering if
> there is a way to share one downloads folder between both users on the
> system ?  I tried creating a directory called /downloads and giving everyone
> permission to it, but limewire wouldn't let me use it.  Anyone know why ?  Is
> there a trick to getting around that ?

Check out chown and chmod man pages.  I'm assuming that the downloads
arrive in your home directory?  If they arrive in a specific folder
within $home then you could chown that directory to be owned by you and
accessible by say group 'staff' which exists within Debian.  You then
add your colleague to group staff:
adduser colleague staff

Make sure there are rwx permissions for the group.

However, if staff is already used create a new group (addgroup) and use
that.

Regards

Clive

--