Re: Release upgrade from Woody to Sarge failed reboot lilo problem

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:08:08PM +0200, Florian Ernst wrote:
> Hello *,
>

> > all worked fine untill I rebooted the machine and...ooops! The boot
> > loader LILO failed with the "LI" code error.
> > No way to boot the machine. I solved the problem with a knoppix live
> > cd, I mounted the root partition, chrooted into it, mounted /boot
> > partition and run "lilo".
> > After reboot the server was up&running.
> >
> > But what did it happen? I think there is a bug somewhere.
> > [...]
> > I made a typescript's upgrade too but I don't think it's notable, of
> > course you'll can ask me it.
>
> lilo should have detected it needed to be re-run and should have
> prompted you about this, unless it was configured otherwise.
>
> What does
> | # grep -A5 'lilo/runme' /var/cache/debconf/config.dat
> say?

Why do people insist on using LILO?  Just install grub, set it up once
with symlinks and *never* mess with it again.  In case anyone cares,
here is my configuration:

default         0
timeout         5
color cyan/blue white/blue
title           Debian GNU/Linux
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=normal ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro single vga=normal ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66
boot
title           Debian GNU/Linux, OLD
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=normal ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, OLD (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda3 ro single vga=normal ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66
boot

I installed it *one* time to the MBR.  I have only since had to mess
with it to replace the failed harddrive in the machine.  If you have
/boot on a separate partition, as I do, you will want to add
'do_symlinks = No' to /etc/kernel-img.conf.  Trust me on this.  It is
really nice to have a boot loader that can actually read your filesystem.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr