sarge testing->stable and USB mouse issue

Hi all - it seems a lot of people are having trouble with their mice after the sarge move from testing to stable. I am also having a problem which seems to be different from those who have already posted on d-u and I can't find any relevant bugs against xserver-xfree86.

When I get into work in the morning, my mouse does not appear to be working. Sometimes I have an X session open which I was using the previous day, mouse and all; other times I am logging in afresh from gdm. I cannot find any messages hinting at the cause in /var/log/* or dmesg. Removing the mouse and plugging it in again causes the hotplug system to register the mouse afresh:

usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 4-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.3-2

X is configured to use /dev/input/mice. I am using a 2.6.11 kernel.

When I come in tomorrow, assuming my mouse isn't working in the morning, I will confirm

a) that the no-mouse-in-X problem is in fact no-events-from-mouse by hexdumping /dev/input/m* b) that there is a mouse entry (still) in the /proc/bus/usb listings (since the dmesg output indicates that a disconnect was registered, that sort-of suggests to me the mouse is still present as far as the kernel is concerned)

[Footnote: I may be having the same problem at home, too (similarly sarge 2.6.11, albeit PS2 mouse this time). However I can't confirm that, I haven't used that machine much recently and I think the mouse actually was physically unplugged at one point.]