Re: removing gcc-snapshot leaves files behind

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:39:11PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
Hi
On sid, recently I installed and removed the gcc-snapshot package. But even after removing with 'apt-get remove --purge gcc-snapshot', it leaves the following files hanging around.

/usr/local/bin/gcc-snapshot
/usr/local/bin/g++-snapshot
/usr/local/bin/gfortran-snapshot

Should not these files also be deleted once the original package has been purged? Is it safe to delete them manually?

No and Yes.  Debian policy dictates that packages can place files into
/usr/local (though it is discouraged) unless they collide with something
already there.  However, packages are prohibited from removing anytnig
from /usr/local.

-Roberto

thanks for the quick reply. I removed the *-snapshot files myself.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE