How long do I need to compile kernel

Hi folks,
I am about to compile my first kernel, but since I've heard it can
last a while (up to several hours), I will have to plan the job more
carefully.

Here is a quick summary of my hardware:

PIII 455kHz prosessor
192Mb RAM,
2 hdd (12Gb + 4Gb) with ext3 fs,
1 cd-writer, (non scsi)
1 cdrom (non scsi)
Floppy drive
Sound Blaster audiocard (using module ens-1371 today)
nVidia graphix card
5 USB 2.0 ports on PCI card

Besides that my monitor, speakers, keybord and mouse (com1) is quite
old, with no special effects or buttons.

Does anyone have any idea how long a kernelcompilation will take. When
I start this job I will compile the latest kernel.org stable release
(i.e. 2.6.12 or up).

Thanks in advance, Vegard