Sarge, hotplug, USB woes

Hi,

I have a machine (i386/Athlon-XP) where I upgraded today from a recent
sarge/testing installation to sarge/stable. Everything runs fine as
long as I stick to the 2.4-kernel.

Installing the 2.6-kernel and booting it, the machine freezes during
the usb section of the hotplug init script.

Adding ehci-hcd to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file makes the machine
boot, but have no mouse and keyboard, which are both USB devices.

This problem did also exist during sarge/testing, but I wanted to
wait until sarge hits stable before investigating it further.

What do I do with this situation? Having a solution around would be
highly desireable since the purpose of running 2.6 is to be able to
use a custom NFS4-enabled kernel one day, but a prerequisite would
be running the stock 2.6 kernel. So the 'run the 2.4-kernel as long
as you are fine with it' is not really an option.

Perhaps this is some bug in the USB chipset? The mainboard calls itself
Asus A7V8X-X. The chipset of the mainboard is VIA KT400(A)/VIA VT8235.
Dmesgs available per email upon request.

Regards, Dominik.