Re: updated sarge today and kde breaks, error log info

On 06/07/2005 02:41 am, Pollywog wrote:

> I got this from the .xsession-errors file:
>
> Xsession: X session started for pollywog at Tue Jun  7 02:26:27 UTC 2005
> startkde: Starting up...
> Can not create file /home/pollywog/.DCOPserver_slider__0: Input/output
> error DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
> Can not create file /home/pollywog/.DCOPserver_slider__0: Input/output
> error DCOPServer self-test failed.
> kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
> Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
> startkde: Shutting down...
> Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> startkde: Done.
>

> Other users do not have this problem.

There are two files in the home directory that I usually use and I am unable
to remove them, they were created by the "glimpse" package and I believe they
are related to the problem.  I can't connect to the Internet either, from
that machine, so the only solution is to reinstall Linux.  I don't believe
the problem is really related to updating Sarge today, I think it is either a
bad disk or an error somewhere from which I cannot recover.  There are kernel
messages being sent to all consoles and they relate to reiserfs errors and
DMA errors.   I can still ssh into the machine, so I will copy important
files and then reinstall Linux.  I might have to buy a new hard drive for
that machine.

8)