Re: On IMAP servers

On Monday 06 Jun 2005 12:54, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   are you talking about pre-2k times only? I mean during last four years
> > imap support seems to be pretty good (and improving). Thunderbird
> > definitely isn't the first usable MUA, as far as imap support goes.
>
>     Nope.  In the past few years I've tried Netscape, TheBat!,
> Sylpheed-Claws, Eudora, KMail, mutt, Thunderbird and a slew of others I can
> no longer remember.  I don't recall any of them outside of Thunderbird
> being able to use IMAP folders for the mentioned "special" folders as of,
> oh... call it late 2003 when I finally found TBird.  I think as of right
> now I could personally vounch for 3 clients which come up to snuff on that
> regards.  Thunderbird, Evolution (which at least has reply-to-list!) and,
> get this, Outlook.  The last time I tried KMail and Sylpheed-claws neither
> were up to the task.  Can't say for recent versions of mutt, Eudora,
> TheBat! or Netscape.  :D
>
> --
>          Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
>        PGP Key: 8B6E99C5       | main connection to the switchboard of
> souls.
> -------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>--

Hi,

For "Sent Items" etc, KMail works fine (I've been using it for the last 2
years as part of Kontact).

However, it does not allow you to apply client-side filters to move mail
directly into IMAP folders! I have to put into local folders first.

However, that's not so bad when you consider I have over 50,000 in my
Debian-User archive and over 30,000 in the Ubuntu-User archive. I really
should delete both of these, but I'm interested in how this 800MHz Mini-ITX
server scales: it can take 20 seconds to show the list of mail in
Debian-User.

I use Exim 4 Heavy+TLS with MailScanner using ClamAV with MySQL-hosted virtual
users (only one real non-root user!), Courier-IMAP+SSL.

Currently only a dozen accounts, but over 100,000 mails in total.

It's also my firewall, has an apache admin suite and is my home DNS/DHCP
server.

I am writing documentation for this, and you will hopefully be able to find
more info at the website for the charity that I work for.

If anyone is interested, I shall post here when finished.

Cheers,
TreeBoy