Re: shell cript deleting backups

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, mess-mate wrote:

> Hi,
> i backup my maildir directory every 3 days with 'konserve' ( kde
> backup utility)
> I've to delete manually older backups of these.
> The backup file look like this: Maildir-20050605182810.tar.gz

if your saving every 3 days.. why are you using time in the filename

save it as

/backup/mon
/backup/tue
/backup/wed

and you'd have 7 day rotations of old emails that will be overwritten

or use /backup/1  /backup/2  /backup/3  /backup/4 ... /backup/30
and you'd ahve 30 day rotations of old emails that will be overwritten

---

the emails you want to save is already saved in your mail folders
and you can delete the spool ..  unless you're using imap

---

if you are saving your emails and keeping only for 3 days or saving every
3 days .. one day you will need to recover prevous emails from last week
or last month, and you won't have it if you delete important emails

	- important emails goes into "important folder"

	- mailing list emails gets deleted upon reading and is
	already archived all over the world

c ya
alvin