Re: How to create an iso BOOTABLE

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <4bIrK-6XX-9@gated-at.bofh.it>, Alban Browaeys wrote:
> Le Sat, 04 Jun 2005 02:49:26 -0700, belahcene abdelkader a écrit :
>
>> I have the knoppix CD, NOT an  iso format,  I want to
>> create an iso BOOTABLE  from the expanded directory.
>> How to do it please.
>> The original CD is bootable this is the content of the
>> CD:
>> KNOPPIX (directory) ,autorun.bat,  autorun.inf,
>> autorun.pif, boot (directory), cdrom.ico ,index.html
>>

> Building Your Own Live CD
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7246
>
> it also explains how to tweak which programs you want in your knoppix.

The procedure in that article is for Knoppix <= 3.7.
The file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX was mounted cloop
and most of / was symlinks pointing into it.
/ itself was ramdisk, created at boot time.

Starting with Knoppix 3.8, / is a UNIONFS with
some directories from the cloop-mounted KNOPPIX
file and others as before, in ramdisk.
It's a great article, but does it still work with
Knoppix > 3.7?
I haven't seen any remastered 3.8.2's yet, and
haven't had time to do it myself.

Things are missing from article/7246, and from
the similar discussions in _Knoppix Hacks_ and
the knoppix.net forums.  After you unpack KNOPPIX
into a directory on your ext3 FS, note the size with
du -s .
Now apt-get {update,upgrade} and make your little
tweaks.  Notice how much the "du -s ." size has grown.
If you make a new KNOPPIX with create_compressed_fs,
it's too big now.  "Hack #95 Trim the Fat" suggests
removing packages and running apt-clean, but it is
never enough.  There's more fat, but where?
Can you safely remove /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin ?

Cameron