debootstrap for different architecture

Hello,

I recently upgraded my desktop machine from a Pentium3 to an
Athlon64-based system.  I'm still running the same operating system,
an x86/32-bit version of sarge.

My system is running fine and I'm not willing to risk it by installing
a 64-bit sarge.  However I'm interested to play with the amd64 port,
so I created a new LVM volume and panned to debootstrap the amd64 port
into it. So far so good. Debootstrap offers an --arch parameter, but
it fails after downloading the packages with an "Exec format error".

What is the --arch parameter for?  Is there another option beside
using the debian installer, which I'm a little bit afraid of?

Regards,
Jim