Re: How can I share a mailbox between multiple OSes

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 23:56 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> David Witbrodt:
[snip]
> You could use mutt with a common Maildir, but I wouldn't recommend that.
> What you *really* want is to set up an IMAP server on the host where
> your mails are stored. IMAP is similar to POP, but all the mails are
> stored on the server and mailclients handle them as if they were stored
> locally. Almost all current mailclients know IMAP and your problem is
> solved.

In *no* *way* is IMAP like POP.  IMAP is what you say it is, but
POP (the name "Post Office Protocol" should give you a hint as to
what it's for) is for the asynchronous store-and-forward of email.
Nothing else.

BTW, running IMAP on your local box is a great way to achieve "MUA
independence".  For example, Evolution went haywire on me last week,
but since my mail is "in IMAP", I could use Sylpheed.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"'He insulted me, he cheated me, he beat me, he robbed me' --
those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace."
Buddha