lirc + deiban = HELP!

Can somebody point me in the right direction for lirc using debians packages? I'm just lost. I think I am probably doing WAY too much to get this working under debian so maybe I'm just screwing things up. I am no kernel builder. Basically, I've read all the documenation they make available. But it is very 'patchy' to say the least. Or they just seem to assume too much.

Here is what i've done;

1. installed and extracted the kernel headers, kernel source and lirc_source_modules packages
2. symlinked /usr/src/linux to the kernel source
3. make-kpkg --revision 2.6.11 modules_image (entered through all the config questions except said yes to all 'enable loadable module support' questions towards the beginning)
4. it built some debian package that I installed via dpkg -i
5. Modules weren't in the right place so I copied them into what I think is the right places cp /lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/* /lib/modules/2.6.11-1-k7/kernel/drivers/misc/
6. depmod -ae && update-modules
7. modprobe lirc_dev
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-k7/kernel/drivers/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Invalid module format
8., modprobe modprobe lirc_i2c
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_i2c (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-k7/kernel/drivers/misc/lirc_i2c.ko): Invalid module format

I'm just trying to get my pvr-350 remote working with mythtv. Can anybody please help me with this? If I ignore the documentation that comes with it and go with people's notes I find on google, it just seems like everybody abandons debians lirc packages for whatever reason. (well, I can probably take a wild guess) Should I just follow them and skip debians lirc packages?

Please help, I'm going crazy here.

-Mike