Auto detecting raid devices using mac partition table

Is it possible to have the kernel detect a raid partition from a mac partition table?

I'm running sarge on a beige G3 power mac.

I have a raid 1 array (md0) running across 3 partitions (hda1, sda1, sdb8).
Two of the drives (hda, sda) are partitioned normally, that is to say they use PC BIOS partition tables.
The partition types are set to 'fd' and are detecting just fine on boot.

The remaining (sdb) drive uses a mac partition table (this is required in order to have the computer boot from the hard disk). The array works properly with this drive. The problem is that it doesn't detect sdb8 as part of the array on boot, since its not type 'fd', and mac partition tables don't have 'type' codes like a pc bios partition table. This means every time I boot, the array comes up in degraded mode (missing a disk). I have to run mdadm --add to get sdb8 back into the array, and then wait for it to re sync.

Is it possible to define a raid array as a kernel boot option? Or somehow force it to probe a particular device for superblock info?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris