No 1028x786 resolution on HP M50 Monitor On Sarge

Only the 800x600 and 640x480 are available while previously 1028x786 was functional and I could switch to it with cntrl ++. The higher resolution had been available on both woody and sarge kernels(stock). I have ran dpkg --reconfigure and wajig reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and always select the 1028x786 max resolution. I've tried modprobe r128 and get a message that file not found or doesn't exist but it does and modprobe gives the same message with or without the full path name. I'm somewhat of a newbie having been with Debian and linux for about 6 months and don't know what else to do. The pertinent section of my XFConfig-4 file is copied below for referene and would be glad to provide any other needed date:

Section "Module"
       Load    "GLcore"
       Load    "bitmap"
       Load    "dbe"
       Load    "ddc"
       Load    "dri"
       Load    "extmod"
       Load    "freetype"
       Load    "glx"
       Load    "int10"
       Load    "pex5"   Comment: this module never loads
       Load    "record"
       Load    "speedo"
       Load    "type1"
       Load    "vbe"
       Load    "xie"   Comment: this module never loads
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
       Driver          "vesa"
       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
       HorizSync       28-50
       VertRefresh     43-75
       Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "Default Screen"
       Device          "Generic Video Card"
       Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
       DefaultDepth    24
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           1
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           4
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           8
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           15
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           16
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth           24
               Modes           "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
       Mode    0666
EndSection
There are no other entries beside the DEBCONF entries.
I'd certainly appreciate any help or guidance given and if one doesn't mind, copy my email address as I'm not subscribed. Otherwise, I'll monitor the list on the web even though its harder to reply in the correct format.
Thanks for your help,

Leonard Chatagnier