Re: How to move debian from one drive to another and keep it working?

On Friday 03 Jun 2005 15:56, David Witbrodt wrote:
> David Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >    tar cvf - / | (cd /mnt/; tar xvf -)
>
> I'm a dummy.  I had just spend the past several days reading docs,
> including the 'man' page for 'tar', and failed to notice that the "cvf" and
> "xvf" switches for 'tar' do not have the '-' character, but the man page
> for 'tar' _does_ use it.

- specifies stdin, or stdout as files, where the | pipe character sends data.
You only need to use it if you use the f flag, which requires a filename.

Combos along the lines of tar cv srcdir | (cd dest; tar xv) will work, too.

--
Lee.

Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.