Re: /etc/modprobe.d/sound does't work

On 6/3/05, Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Mr. Liu,

My modules all get autoloaded too, i'm not sure where
the config file for that is (or if it's just some
hardware-detection thing that they have now (you
didn't have to worry about these things back in the
day...), anyway, is your sound card detected in the
kernel messages, or is it definitely loading the wrong
driver? (it might just be something as simple as
needing to add yourself to the 'audio' group...)

Cameron Matheson

It loads the right driver but because the driver has a bug that it only works for ac97 compatible, mine is sound blaster. I'm thinking of compiling a new kernel which enables only soudcard support without alsa and oss modules, and try installing alsa/oss manually. Do you think that would help?

-- Shidai

--- Shidai Liu <shidai.liu@gmail.com > wrote:

> On 6/2/05, Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > start the oss install
> > > program, it complains about sound driver already
> > > running which I removed
> > > beforehand and 'lsmod' shows that the old driver
> > > back again. Very annoying.
> > > Any idea?
> >
> > oss is just a generic sound system (it won't load
> any
> > drivers or anything for your sound card... that
> module
> > is probably loaded already anyway, can you send us
> the
> > output of lsmod?
> >
> > Cameron Matheson
> >
> > Dear Cameron,
>
> I have a long list of `lsmod`. But 'lsmod |grep -i
> snd' gives:
> snd_nm256 69216 0
> snd_ac97_codec 78360 1 snd_nm256
> snd_pcm_oss 53344 0
> snd_mixer_oss 19872 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 92712 3 snd_nm256,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer 24644 1 snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc 10020 1 snd_pcm
> snd 55300 6

snd_nm256,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer