Re: Can't burn CDs at a reasonable speed (cdrecord, 2.6.11 kernel).

Hi Adam and Roberto,

On 2005-06-02, Adam Funk wrote:
> $ mkisofs -r -J -o foo.iso foodir
> $ cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=ATA:0,0,0 foo.iso
> If I specify a higher speed, cdrecord fails and I get a coaster.  I would
> appreciate any suggestions for improving this.

I was just reading an lkml thread (flame fest) on this topic.[0] I have
little experience with cdrecord on 2.6.* myself but have either of you
tried burning a cd using cdrecord with speed=[greater than] 16 as root?

[0] http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0505.3/0539.html

               Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

   From: Joerg Schilling
   Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 17:49:28 EST

If you don't call cdrecord as root, you will not be able to lock in
memory and to raise priority in order to prevent buffer underuns. In
addition (with Linux- or newer) you will not be able to send some
of the important SCSI commands mainly related to newer CD or DVD drives.
As a result, cdrecord cannot write DVDs or ultra speed CD-RWs or cannot
do other things....