NVidia drivers & kernel compilation: version magic?

Hey ho,

From my very first steps with Debian, I was taught to compile kernel
sources myself, rather than the proverbial Debian way, so that's what
I've been doing ever since.

After compilation, an "sh ./NVIDIA_binary_driver_package.run" has never
failed on me, until recently. For some reason, when it's done building
the kernel module, it fails to load it.

Its error log (/var/log/nvidia-installer.log) then states this:

nvidia:
 version magic '2.6.11.11-zukunft preempt PENTIUM4 4KSTACKS gcc-3.2'
 should be '2.6.11.11-zukunft preempt PENTIUM4 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3

I try my very best, but I just can't see the problem... /proc/version
definitely shows the kernel was compiled with "gcc version 3.3.6", so
why is my kernel showing version magic including "gcc-3.2"?

Googling the error message merely points to faulty symlinks or sources
that don't match the running kernel, but those can't be the problem.
Since I've never done this any other way, I can't imagine I'm doing
something wrong, but of course, there are lots of things I never had to
wonder about anyway...

Could someone perhaps enlighten me on what the problem could be?

Cheers,
Tom

--
keys: http://tmp.verbreyt.be/files/ (abwaerts.asc & verbreyt.asc)
np: Les Joyaux de la Princesse - Tiefe Sehnsucht