mozilla profile mail incompatibilities

Hello,

I have this question: under sarge I'm currently running this mozilla version:

Mozilla 1.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040413 Debian/1.6-5

Some time ago, I tried using a mozilla 1.7.x version, and recently I again tried this, this time mozilla 1.7.8

The problem I'm having is, mozilla 1.6 as provided by debian seems to handle mail in a different way then the mozilla 1.7.x branch does. In fact, when I run the mozilla 1.7.8 it won't show any of my recent emails, except for those still on the server, and it does show some old emails I had downloaded under a earlier mozilla 1.7.x version when I tried before;

How could I convert the mozilla 1.6 profile so everything is available under mozilla 1.7?

I think the profile somehow got in a bad state, so extracting and again importing all emails (and bookmarks, but those are easy) would be what I'm interested in most - if possible I would like to preserve filters, but otherwise, I could write those again;

As debian had mozilla 1.7 in sarge available, this seems like a serious problem (I am still using mozilla 1.6 as apt-listbugs claimed mozilla had unfixed bugs - but a few days ago I saw the only open bug was in fact about security issues in mozilla/woody)

Thanks for any help,

Joris