SC420 problem with Debian make-kpkg

Hi:

In February, I got, from the Dell website, a 2.4.28 kernel and got my SC420 working with the ATA disk software built into that kernel and with the right module for the network adapter. However, I need to add other things like USB and sound support, and also need to update to a 2.6 kernel for other reasons.

I got 2.6.10 from the Debian site via aptitude, got it unpacked, and it's sitting in /usr/src/linux-2.6.10/kernel-source-2.6.10. There are lower subdirectories like arch and arch/i386, but you get the idea.

I should now be ready to start building a Debian package and modifying my kernel configuration as needed. But, When I issue the command:

make-kpkg clean

from usr/src/linux-2.6.10/kernel-source-2.6.10 or any other directory level from /usr/src on down, I get a message saying

"We do not seem to be in a top-level kernel source directory tree...".

The message suggested upgrading the Debian kernel-package which I have done to no good effect. I also looked through some Debian archives and saw many messages about people installing modules/drivers that caused this message. Could there be something about the Dell installation that is causing make-kpkg to choke?

Also, I am issuing the make-kpkg clean as root.

Does anybody know what this message really means and what to do about it? It seems pretty clear there's something very basic that make-kpkg isn't finding that it wants, given that not even the clean option works.

Thanks.

Chris