Oops when Sony USB dvdrw is disconnected

Only my Sony DRX-510UL USB dvdrw drive is a problem.

I am using hotplug and can disconnect and reconnect jumpdrives and other USB devices with no problems.

If I shutdown the system or disconnect the Sony drive I get the following messages:

SCSI: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lum 0
   sr 0:0:0:0: Illegal state transition cancel -> offline

followed by a bunch of BAD messages and then a kernel Oops.

I have lived with this problem for some weeks since so long as I don't shut down the system or unplug the device it is working perfectly with both cdparanoia and cdrecord as /dev/sg0.

I have posted this problem twice previously and have received no responses. If I am way off base I will continue to live with the problem but I do need to shut down my system occasionally - today to install a kernel built from the latest kernel-source-2.6.8 release and this evening when my grandson wants windows to play his computer game. After each Oops fsck must be run on all the partitions to repair the damage. I can avoid the problem by falling back on a 2.4.26 kernel which has no diffilculty with the Sony device but then I have only USB1 connections.

As noted in the previous postings the Oops is avoided if I install discorvey or discovery1 but

   If discovery is installed there is no mount point for the device!

If discovery1 is installed the mount point is /dev/sr0 and the device can only be mounted to read data cd's.

If anyone has any suggestions as how to correct the problem or what references I should read to understand it I would greatly appreciate the help.

Tom George