Re: Debian Sarge 3.1

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:13:41AM +0800, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> Maybe there is an boot option or some other way, but a simple solution is:
> Install Woody and then upgrade the distribution to Sarge with apt-get
> dist-upgrade.
> Install the base Woody system and then change the /etc/apt/sources.list
> so that it points to the repositories of your choice. Something like:
> deb http://mirrors.geekbone.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
> Don't forget to write sarge instead of woody!
> Then simply type:
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade

I will be converting from Woody to Sarge real soon now. :-)

Are these steps correct?

1. apt-get update
2. If necessary apt-get upgrade
3. change sources.list to point to Sarge
4. apt-get update
5. apt-get upgrade
6. perform step 5 as necessary
7. apt-get dist-upgrade

I don't want to use aptitude as I have a small HD (1.3G) and need to
restrict packages.

Then again maybe I can tweak aptitude not to pull in 'reccommends' and
'suggests' packages?

How have other people found going from Woody to Sarge?

--
Chris.
======