Re: How to move debian from one drive to another and keep it working?

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:28:35PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 08:10:05PM +0200, Elvis Cehajic wrote:
> > Unix compatibility
>
> Huh? Please quote relevant part you are replying to so the message makes
> sense.

It means that tar was originally design to handle unix files, and it's
a good way to duplicate file systems. I used it so many times...

Tar preserves uid/gid/perms/dates/devices/links, everything you need to
have a working copy.

But.. Maybe cp can do it too.

And tar may be used to copy via ssh
    tar clf - | ssh othermachine:/mnt tar xf -

for example (-l is like -x for cp)

Cyprien