Re: How to move debian from one drive to another and keep it working?

Andres Järv wrote:
Would anybody care to explain me why the tar version is better for example doing cp -ax /* /mnt/ ?

It has to do with the limitations of the linux kernel.

cp -a changes the time/date stamps on symbolic links during recursive copies,
due (according to the maintainer) to the absence of the "lutimes" system call
in Linux.  I don't know about tar.  The only copying utility I have utmost
confidence in is rsync, which compensates for the linux shortcomings, and that's
only if I run it at least twice to catch all the hard link targets it missed
on its first pass.