Re: "Upgrading" to sarge when it goes stable?

On Monday 30 May 2005 12:44 pm, Jacob S wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:28:21 -0400
> Charles Read <debianlist@charlesread.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey everybody!
> >
> > I currently run sarge (debian testing that is) on a few important
> > servers, how should I handle sarge going from testing to stable?  Is
> > it  like at an instant all the testing repositories will be labeled
> > stable  and from that moment forward everybody with woody has sarge,
> > and  likewise everybody with sarge then having sid?  Any help?
>
> Check your /etc/apt/sources.list file. If all of the lines are
something
> like this:
>
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
>
> Then you won't notice when Sarge goes stable. If sarge is replaced
with
> 'testing', then your next apt-get update/apt-get upgrade will upgrade
> you to the new 'testing'.

I get stable, testing, and unstable sources now.  You need a large
cache to do that.  I will go to stable also, but in addition to the
advice above, you should put put -t (stable or sarge) in your command
line
whenever you upgrade.  You may want to go to testing again when stable
gets old, and downloading all those sources helps you keep up, which
is always an issue.  "-t" is for target:

# apt-get -t stable dist-upgrade

daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.