Re: many mail accounts and imap and postfix

* Mauricio:

> o Eudora seems to be using mbox format.  I would rather use maildir

No problem, since dovecot can deliver Maildirs.

> o I would like to be able to apply spamassassin and other filters to
> all the emails I receive.  Some of the accounts I have do not come
> with a good built-in spam filtering.  BTW, I woul dlike to use
> postfix as the MTA.

Then I suggest you to setup fetchmail or getmail and some mail delivery
agent like procmail. I use Postfix, fetchmail, procmail and crm114 for
spam filtering. (And Postfix sends mails to ClamAV before delivering.
-Wow, six programs just for email...)

> o I also would like to use imap-ssl (dovecot) to read them. Right
> now, if I am at work I have to run vnc through ssh.

Dovecot is a good choice, I think. I use it, too and access is sometimes
though an SSH tunnel. Although, more often I SSH directly to my machine
and read my mail with mutt on the remote machine without SSL. That saved
me the headaches invovled in creating a certificate that no client
complains about.

Mutt accesses my mails via IMAP, too, BTW. Some people don't like mutt's
IMAP support but I am pretty content.

> However, I would still want to be able to reply to mail from the
> different accounts using the right return email address.

Well, this last feature is totally up to the mailclient, since the
program deciding your From: needs to know the message you reply to. Mutt
has the nice options 'reverse_name' and 'reverse_realname'. You simply
tell mutt with the 'alternatives' option all your mail addresses and
then on your replies mutt uses the correct mail address. For new mails,
you need to setup hooks, though.

J.
--
As a child I pulled the legs from a spider.
[Agree]   [Disagree]