Re: apt-get remove kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7 also removes kernel-image-2.6-k7

On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:02:03 -0700 (PDT)
darin strait <darin_strait@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been running the 2.6.10 kernel on my Athlon for quite a while now
> and I'd like to remove the old 2.6.8 image. So...
>
> dstrait@trinity:~$ sudo apt-get remove kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kernel-image-2.6-k7 kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7

It is just a meta package that pulls in whatever the most recent default
is in the 2.6 series of kernel compiled with K7 optimizations.

It is safe to remove.

Whether you want to remove kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7 is totally up to you,
but personally I like to keep two versions of the kernel around that are
bootable because if there is an updated package for your version of the
kernel that is considered minor and overwrites your kernel and kernel
modules and something doesn't go right your system becomes unbootable.

I am following unstable and usually going after the newer kernels as
they appear so maybe it's a bigger concern for me than it is for you,
but still... You never know. ;)

Later, Seeker