gnome and kde conflicts?

I am using sarge, both kde and gnome are installed.

I chose to use kde style and font for gtk application
in kde (kcontrol -> appearance & themes -> gtk styles and fonts),
then I found kde wrote the following into .gtkrc-2.0:

include "/usr/share/themes/Qt/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
  font_name="Bitstream Vera Sans 12"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="Qt"
gtk-font-name="Bitstream Vera Sans 12"

I like the consistent look across kde and gtk applications offered by
this feature, but with this enabled, gnome doesn't start any more.
If I remove the lines written by kde in .gtkrc-2.0, gnome will start.
Does anyone know how to get around this problem? It will be great
if I can have this kde-gtk thing and gnome work at the same time.

By the way, kdm is running on my machine, not sure if it has something
to do with this.

thanks.

Lei