Re: ia64 available packages

Rick Pasotto wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting an AMD-64 machine. Is there an easy way to see
>if all the packages I currently have installed are available in the ia64
>distribution?

It is easier to see which ones are not available. Anyway, AMD64 uses an
amd64 port, not the ia64. ie64 is for Itanium processors and I don't
think you will be getting these for home use!

The port page is at,
http://www.nl.debian.org/ports/amd64/

The FAQ should answer most of your questions. Virtually all packages are
in amd64 port. Some are not and have to run as 32-bit programs. In any
case, if you *really* want or need, you can always run i386 Debian port
on Amd64 machine :)

http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianAMD64Faq

- Adam