Re: alsa problem

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:49:59PM -0000, shatam bhattacharya wrote:

> >Congratulations!!
> >
> >It may be that your driver is not loaded upon boot. And if it is not
> >loaded, /etc/init.d/network has nothing to configure. Reason ? with
> >2.4.18 8139too might have been already compiled into the kernel, with
> >2.4.27 it is definitely a module.
> >
> >A quick way to check it: load 8139too by hand
> >
> >run
> >
> >ifdown eth0
> >ifup eth0
> >
> >if ifconfig shows it, than you can go on with automating things:
> >
> >create  /etc/modutils/net [1] with this line
> >
> >alias eth0 8139too
> >
> >and run update-modules.
> >
> >This will load 8139too when somebody (ifup) wants to access eth0.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Ionut
> >
> >[1] This is also that alsaconf does. Have a look at /etc/modutils/alsa
> Yeah the module was built in the kernel. From the second boot onwards it is working fine. (But why from second boot onwards ???). One more thing I have diagnosed another problem. After every boot the /etc/resolve.conf gets reset
>
> ginie:/etc/modutils# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> where 192.168.1.1 is the ip of my ADSL router. On every boot, i have to set this file as
> ginie:/etc/modutils# cat resolv.conf.backup > /etc/resolv.conf
> search
> nameserver 203.94.243.70
> nameserver 203.94.227.70

Install the resolvconf package. This will allow you to manually enter
the nameserver configuration in /etc/network/interfaces. I can't give an
example now, but it is quite straight forward. Just read man resolvconf.

Alternatively, you could do something like

iface eth0 inet manual
      up pump -i $IFACE --no-dns
      down pump -i $IFACE -r

I don't know if it works, just got inspired by the last example in
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz

Personally I would prefer the first method (even if the second really
worked :-) )

Greetings,
Ionut

--