Re: Moving from Fedora to Debian

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:36:44PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> OK, I have had enough. I am interested in moving from a Fedora box to a
> debian machine. Is there a way to do this without destroying my old
> info? Like downloading kernel sources, building a new kernel and then
> using apt-get? I thought I heard about a web site that talked about
> moving from Red Hat to debian once, anyone remember that link?
>
> Thanks!

You aren't at all specific about which/what info you wish to preserve.
The method of preservation varies for different types of info. And some
info that is distro specific should not be perserved as it will mess up
the newly installed distro.

Realize that Debian is a distro, like RedHat. You don't need to download
kernel sources to install either distro. You do need to download kernel
source in both distros if you want to compile your own kernel. I suggest
that you first try one of the precompiled kernels that come with Debian.
It may suit your needs, and save you some work.

When I moved for RedHat to Debian several years ago, the hardest thing
for me to get used to was how everything was so easy. But don't look for
advice on the general web. Debian is enough different that step-by-step
instruction usually don't work. If something has been reduced to a set
of step-by-step instructions, then the same thing has probably been written
up in a script in Debian and the install process runs that script auto-magically.

For now, give more info about what info you want to save.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net