Re: exim SMTP Authentication

 Adam

  Thanks for the tip.  I have exim4, with exim4-daemon-light, installed and am
still fighting to get AUTH working.  Here is what I have found.

Telnet smtp.intergate.com 25
EHLO intergate.com
250-corpweb.trip.net Hello host-69-95-14-38.roc.choiceone.net [69.95.14.38],
ple
ased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 40000000
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

seems to indicate cram-md5 'should' work but here is what I get when I try to
send from this address:
 cram_md5 authenticator failed H=smtp.intergate.com [216.139.64.8] 535 5.7.0
authentication failed
if I comment the cram_md5 authenticator out, leaving only the plain and login
authenticators I get (trying to get on the exim4 mail list)
pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org R=smarthost
T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mailer after
 RCPT TO:<pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org>: host
smtp.intergate.com [216.139.64.8]: 550 5.7.1
<pkg-exim4-users-request@lists.alioth.debian.org>.
.. Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.

Going through the exim4 HOWTO I see that they say I need to add
A0723:  You need to have this setting in your PLAIN authenticator:

   server_prompts = :
I did add that but it didn't seem to change anything.  :-(

Would you know if I have to define something for the following line
.ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS

From the servers reply it seems they don't run TLS so everything has to go
plaintext.  I can't find anything in the, rather obtuse, exim4 docs about
this,

IF(?) my request to join the exim4 mail list got through, I'll hopefully ask
these questions there.

I am forced to use Kmail now so hope this gets to the list.  All my other
mails have not been showing up due to this AUTH problem.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne