Re: Re: Custom kernel building and mkinitrd

Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:

Well, I am not bypassing anything. I am using make-kpkg. I use this
guide http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html.en
|  Sorry.  Your mention of grabbing a kernel off of kernel.org is what
  threw me off.  I had thought you had to use the debian-patched kernel
|  with make-kpkg.

|   It sounds like you have a live bug on your hands.  If you don't get an
  answer here then perhaps the next step is a bug report.

   If it's of any help, I'm having the same problem on my Sarge 3.1 - installed from the new installer.
The stock kernels work fine accept for not recognizing my Plextor sata dvd recorder. While attempting to do to /usr/src/linux (kernel-source-2.6.11) , fakeroot make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.050525 kernel_image   ,
make-kpkg does a wonderful job compiling, and putting things in place accept initrd.img is missing .
Since i'm using reiserfs , I compiled it in the kernel .
I thought that would negate the necessity of having an initrd.img , but I'm really not sure at this point .
Even  make-kpkg -izing  my stock debian .config file to custom kernel compile failed to generate an initrd.img
So I'm guessing that make-kpkg is not liking to make any initrd.img's lately .
Too late tonight for any more compiling (would be the 4th time today!), and holliday weekend comming, so
I'll have to put it off for a few days - I just wanted to get my Plextor, sata-dvd recorder recognized - change #undef to #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/libata.h > recompile sources.
else I would have been fine with the stock Sarge.

John W Mislan