Re: Xvideo, gmplayer and xawtv goofiness

Alban Browaeys wrote:
Marty <martyb <at> ix.netcom.com> writes:

My graphics driver is ATI with a Radeon 7500 on stock sarge.  If I run
gmplayer with xvideo enabled, subsequently xawtv displays no video, only a
black screen. I have to restart xawtv with the "-noxv" option (turning off xvideo)

I can sometimes run both apps successfully if I start xawtv before gmplayer.

Check the log from gmplayer ( or use mplayer which has a verbose output) when you start it after xawtv. It should not be able to access xvideo.

You can download  xvattr from marillat repository. And send the output from
xvinfo and xvattr. My geforce card (using nv driver) for example show only one
'overlay' port for its 'adaptator' (that s some sort of chip on the card i
guess). So i can only have one application bound to xvideo (it binds to the port).

I guess some card support more than one xv port as some audio card support
 more than a hardware channel (thus removing the need for esd or such).

Btw you should use xvideo for xawtv or to play dvd. Usually divx don't really
need it.

If you found you have more than one xv port and you cannot use more than a xv
app this should be a shortcoming of the driver. Please report the bug as
 wishlist.

I suspected the xvideo hardware has a resource sharing issue, but I don't need
two different xvideo sources at the same time.  The real issue seems to be that
gmplayer apparently leaves the system (hardware or software, I don't know)
in a state that requires restarting X to allow xawtv work again with xvideo.
This is too much like Windoze (non-)functionality for my tastes :-)

This suggests that either mplayer is leaving the system in a "bad" state (which
seems unlikely) or that xawtv does not or cannot reinitialize some stored
states, somewhere (again,either in hardware or software, which I don't know and
cannot even begin to guess).