Xvideo, gmplayer and xawtv goofiness

My graphics driver is ATI with a Radeon 7500 on stock sarge.  If I run
gmplayer with xvideo enabled, subsequently xawtv displays no video, only a
black screen.  I have to restart xawtv with the "-noxv" option (turning off
xvideo) to see a picture, but this is not a fix because of the unacceptably
low framerate without xvideo.

I can sometimes run both apps successfully if I start xawtv before gmplayer.
Otherwise the only solution I've found is to restart X.  At this point I don't
even know how to debug the problem.  Any help is appreciated.  Let me know if
you want to see any relevant conffiles or log files.