RE: Small issues, but still annoying

> Each time my kernel boots, I see flashing on my screen for a sec the
> word "FATAL" followed (on a seperate line) by kernel modules' names. I
> am not sure what the FATAL error message is as it goes out of my
screen
> way too fast.
>
> I tried a few log files in /var/log such as dmesg, messages, syslog,
> kern.log, but nothing in there that resembles what I see at boot time.
>
> Another issue is this line in syslog :
> May 22 21:12:39 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error running install
> command for sound_slot_1

I see this all the time, from hotplug/discover attempting to load some
different hardware.  It is annoying but harmless.

If you want to take the time to proose your bootup and write down the
module names. (you can use ctrl-s to stop the boot, shift-{page up,page
down} to scroll, and use ctrl-p to resume the boot).

You can then add these to /etc/discover.conf as skips ('skip
modulename').  Word of caution, skip the wrong thing and something is
not going to work.

There is also /etc/hotplug/blacklist file that is a list of modules the
hotplug will not load.

Between the two files you *should* be able to rid yourself of some
harmless bootup errors.