Re: X and sound on debian

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 06:54:52AM -0000, shatam bhattacharya wrote:
>  Hi list,
>         I got a lot of support from this list. Thanks a lot guys.
> Please keep up the good work. Places like these motivate others
> towards this exciting world of linux.
> 	At present I am having a couple of problems. Firstly I am
> not able to increase my resolution to 1024 x 768 in 24 bits. The X
> server says not a usable configuration. I am using a bf2.4 install
> on intel 845G board. My Xfree build is
> ginie:/# XFree86 -version
>
> This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
> way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
> to fixes@XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
> please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
> (http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).
>
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-7.woody.1 20041010070103 nobse@debian.org)
> Release Date: 15 August 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26-1-k7 i686 [ELF]
> Build Date: 10 October 2004
>         Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.18-bf2.4 (root@zombie) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002
>
> The second problem I am facing is that of configuring sound.
> I saw the previous posts on the list, did the following --
> Inserted the ac97 modules -
> ginie:/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/sound# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> ac97_codec              9568   0  (unused)
> ac97                    2864   0  (unused)
> ntfs                   48512   1  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               4384   7  (autoclean)
> keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
> usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
> input                   3040   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
> usb-uhci               20676   0  (unused)
> usbcore                48000   0  [usbkbd usb-uhci]
>
> On trying to insert the i810_audio modules, it shows an error.
>
> Added the user to the audio group
> ginie:~# cat /etc/group | grep audio
> audio:x:29:shatam
>
> On logging in kde, an informaitonal messege pops up stating that no
> devices found, the sound server would use the null device.
> Please tell me, where I may be going wrong,
> Thanks
> shatam bhattacharya

And now to the graphics: is this integrated graphics? Sometimes you need
to reserve some more Video RAM in the BIOS. /var/log/XFree86.0.log might
be of good help in this sense.

Other users with Intel graphics chipsets had a similar problem when
trying higher resolutions. Have a glance on 855resolution at
	http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/
and
	http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

The first one applies to Dell computers, but I have used it successfully
on Acer TravelMate also.

Good luck,
Ionut

PS With respect to sound, I can only second Jonathan's advice on ALSA. I
have the same sound chip and it works great.

--
* Ionuţ Georgescu