Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 03:48:34PM +0800, Robert Vangel wrote:
> Dan Fulbright wrote:
> >When I try to mount an NFS filesystem, I get this error:
> >
> >mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'
> >
> >Here's the mount command I'm using on host2:
> >
> >mount host1.domain.com:/tmp /mnt
> >
> >On host1.domain.com, I have this in /etc/exports:
> >
> >/tmp host2.domain.com(ro,sync)
> >
> >I tried using all IP addresses instead of names, but with the same
> >results. The mount(8) man page says that it includes built-in NFS support.
> >
> >I'm running Sarge. I'm somewhat new to Debian, but have been using Linux
> >for many years, so if I need to provide more information, just let me know.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >--df
> >

> Do a `grep nfs /proc/filesystems' and see what you get back. This will
> let you know if currently there is nfs support.
>
> If nothing, try `modprobe nfs' and give it another shot. If that doesn't
> work, make sure that NFS client support was actually included with your
> kernel build.
>
> Is your kernel custom, debian built, etc?

Also, to make sure that you have all the software pieces together, run

apt-get install nfs-common # on the client
and
apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common # on the server

nfs-common is sometimes missing on the client and strange results occur.

Ionut

--
* Ionuţ Georgescu