Re: audacity problem: no I/O devices

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

En/La Marty ha escrit, a 22/05/05 22:19:
<snip>
|> /dev/dsp; no /dev/dsp1 nor /dev/dsp2. Do you know what's using these
|> /dev's? Have you run alsaconf, etc. and all is well?
|

| Here is where I suspect a problem, since alsaconf fails to find any
| devices,
| but this does not affect any ALSA apps (except possibly sound recorder,
| which I posted about in another message.)  However I don't think this has
| anything to do with /dev/dsp, which seems more like a udev/OSS issue.
| I did succeed in causing an automatic udev soft link to /dev/dsp from
| /dev/dsp2,
| which the resulting problems in Gnome Volume Control OSS mixer as
mentioned
| above.

Hi Marty,
Hmmm. Running lspci gives me this
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

I have rev 50, which probably doesn't make any difference.

for the audio controller.
I have an Asus K8V SE with an onboard soundcard. Parts of my lsmod look
like this:
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_cp437               6016  0
fglrx                 232316  7
parport_pc             33348  1
lp                     10408  0
parport                37320  2 parport_pc,lp
ipv6                  229764  10
floppy                 54992  0
pcspkr                  3816  0
rtc                    12088  0
snd_via82xx            25696  3
snd_ac97_codec         65888  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss            47656  0
snd_mixer_oss          16768  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                82056  5 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              23300  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9736  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport                4736  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         7424  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            23232  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8716  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    51940  13
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9824  1 snd

Here's my kernel configuration:

marty@algernon:/usr/src/linux-2.6.8$ grep SND /usr/src/linus-2.6.8/.config |grep =y
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=y
CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_BT87X=y
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=y
marty@algernon:/usr/src/linux-2.6.8$

So apparently this is an apps issue and not a driver issue.  Rather than
report a bug right away I am leaning toward letting the OSS/ALSA/udev dust settle
a little more, since its seems like a number of packages are affected.  While
dusting off my multimedia apps I ran into other affected apps in the last day or
so (pia being the latest example).  Everything is so broken that I've decided to
just postpone my multimedia projects for the time being.  There is an outside
chance that I may try unstable, the only thing stopping me being the fact that
upgrading tends to be a one-way process, and of course, unstable presents its
own list of issues.  All in all I am disappointed and troubled that sarge is
apparently so instable at the eve of its anticipated release.  Things are
reasonable stable at the package level, but it seems like a real problem exists
at the "system integration" level, which is something I wouldn't even begin to
know how to address.

shpchp                 87148  0
pciehp                 83948  0
pci_hotplug            30640  2 shpchp,pciehp
amd64_agp              10696  1
agpgart                31784  2 amd64_agp
tsdev                   7168  0
mousedev                9996  1
evdev                   9088  0
usbhid                 28864  0
ehci_hcd               27908  0
uhci_hcd               29328  0
usbcore               104164  5 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
sata_via                7428  0
eth1394                19976  0
sata_promise            9732  0
libata                 36228  2 sata_via,sata_promise
sk98lin               143144  1
ohci1394               32004  0
dm_mod                 51068  0
capability              4872  0
commoncap               7168  1 capability
sr_mod                 15780  0
sbp2                   22408  0
scsi_mod              115148  4 sata_promise,libata,sr_mod,sbp2
ieee1394              100408  3 eth1394,ohci1394,sbp2
psmouse                17800  0
ide_cd                 38176  0
cdrom                  35740  2 sr_mod,ide_cd
isofs                  33976  0
ext3                  109672  1
jbd                    54552  1 ext3
ide_generic             1664  0
via82cxxx              12956  1
ide_disk               16768  3
ide_core              125028  4 ide_cd,ide_generic,via82cxxx,ide_disk
Maybe this is some help; maybe not.
Cheers,
Jonathan