Re: audacity problem: no I/O devices

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

En/La Marty ha escrit, a 22/05/05 17:03:
| Jonathan Kaye wrote:
|
|> Audacity, at least the one I'm using (ver. 1.2.3) wants /dev/dsp as its
|> i/o device. Have you got that?
|

| Not automatically.  (I'm using udev).  If I create a link to /dev/dsp, it
| disappears after rebooting, and in the meantime my OSS mixer in Gnome
| Volume Control 2.8.0 disappears.  Other OSS apps seem able to locate my
| two sound devices at /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2.  Is there a bug to report?

What debian kernel are you running, Marty? I'm using 2.6.8 Alsa comes
with this kernel so I think /dev/dsp is part of the alsa module (I
certainly didn't have to put it in; it was just ...there).

I've tried 2.6.8 and 2.6.10, both custom compliles with all ALSA and OSS
emulation options enabled (except dummy options and virtual MIDI).  The
sound chip part of the VIA chipset for K7, or 8233 (possibly an ALC clone).

 I only have
/dev/dsp; no /dev/dsp1 nor /dev/dsp2. Do you know what's using these
/dev's? Have you run alsaconf, etc. and all is well?

Here is where I suspect a problem, since alsaconf fails to find any devices,
but this does not affect any ALSA apps (except possibly sound recorder,
which I posted about in another message.)  However I don't think this has
anything to do with /dev/dsp, which seems more like a udev/OSS issue.
I did succeed in causing an automatic udev soft link to /dev/dsp from /dev/dsp2,
which the resulting problems in Gnome Volume Control OSS mixer as mentioned
above.